Board Meeting Minutes
February 12, 2015
8627 rue Marie-Anne Gaboury Street NW
In attendance: Mark Gordon, Don Masson, Daniel Kaliel, Carol Hurst, Stephanie Wold, Shauna Kuiper, Margaret Russell, Ian Gray, Suzi Radke, Susan Dack
Regrets: Barret Hall
1. Call to Order 7:19
2. Kick off the Meeting.
2.1. Approve agenda. Social Report moved after Treasurer Report. Moved by SK, seconded by CH. Carried.
2.2. Approve January board meeting minutes. Moved by MG, seconded by DK. Carried.
3. CRC Report. SD
3.1. Bonnie Doon will be getting a green shack this year. Yay!
3.2. Networking meeting. MR will talk on that.
3.3. Bonnie Fest. Moved to Bonnie Doon hall due to neighbourhood renewal so we don’t need road closure permits.
4. Board Member Reports
4.1. President’s report.
4.1.1. Flying Canoe. Organizers have asked BDCL to contribute money toward the event. DK moves that we contribute $1250 for 2015. DM seconds. Carried.
4.1.2. YESS. BDCL will give 5 skate tags to Youth Empowerment & Support Services as an effort to integrate the group into the neighbourhood. MG is going to ask BD residents, through the newsletter, for donations of old skates. He will also try to connect Sports Central to YESS for possible equipment donation opportunities.
4.1.3. Community Halls. MG has asked Cloverdale for use of their hall for our next board meeting as it will allow us to check out neighboring communities’ halls in light of discussions about a potential new hall for BD. Ritchie Community League is also considering new hall options. They are weighing the costs/benefits of demolition-rebuild versus gutting-remodeling and have hired a Calgary consultant to conduct community engagement to determine the avenue they should take. They are also working with SAIT to help with concept design.
4.1.4. Newsletter. MG will be looking into options for type and frequency of paper communication to our residents since there are only 250 people on our email distribution list.
4.2. Treasurer’s report.
4.2.1. Budget and budget summary provided.
4.2.2. The rink project had been allotted up to $30,000 (as reserved on balance the sheet), in addition to getting approx $28,000 from a city grant.
4.2.3. T4 and T4 summaries completed and mailed.
4.2.4. DK moves to approve the budget as presented. Seconded by MG. Carried.
4.3. Social report. MR
4.3.1. Membership. MR is interested in looking into storefront options for membership sales.
4.3.2. Rink parties. Thanks to Don and Karmen Masson, Christiane Moquin, and Barret Hall and crew for all their help in making Feb. 8’s rink party a success. IG suggests hosting a rink party during Family Day weekend instead of the same weekend of the Flying Canoe next year. Another suggestion is to combine a Learn-to-Skate event with an evening skate party. SD believes the Learn-to-Skate program will be offered again next year. March 8 is BD’s next rink party.
4.3.3. St. Patrick’s Day Tea. Sunday, March 15 from 2:00 until 4:00.
4.3.4. T’ai Chi Chih. Classes end March 2. An informal session may continue in the spring, structure unknown.
4.3.5. Movie night. Saturday, February 21 at 6:30 pm. SW will set up signage during soccer registration to promote the event. Effect Homes is donating a Lego set for raffle that evening.
4.3.6. Graphic designer for EPL is willing to help BDCL for marketing and promotional material.
4.3.7. Bonnie Fest. June 6 at the Bonnie Doon park area, due to neighborhood renewal around Rutherford School.
4.4. Civics report. SK
4.4.1. Sewer issue. SK met with representatives from the city’s Drainage Services department. The city has implemented a monitoring program to reporting on gas emissions and presented some temporary solutions to the situation, such as replacing the neoprene flaps with new stainless steel ones and flushing out the sewer lines in problem areas. The city has mapped out the 311 complaints (recording where the call is generated, not the source of the complaint). The city is also looking into conducting a survey to residents in the neighborhood. RFPs have been issued to three consultants to explore 5 options: 1) sewer separation 2) drop shaft 3) air vents 4) extraction and treatment facility 5) chemical treatment. We need to get clarification on the city’s approved budget for this issue and will ensure lines of communication remain open.
4.4.2. SK is rescheduling the infill meeting to Feb 26.
4.4.3. Neighborhood renewal. Information will be sent via post and is available on the city’s website.
4.5. Program report. IG
4.5.1. Soccer. IG will provide a write-up on soccer for the website.
4.5.2. Vision/Mission brainstorming meeting. See attachment. IG handed out a summary from the meeting. After some discussion (most agreed that strengthening connections is central to what we do and why we exist), we decided to continue to think about it until the next meeting. In the meantime, IG will email the document to everyone so we can track our edits/comments. To help organize thoughts, remember:
Vision: “What should it look like when you think you’re there?”
Mission: What we do, whom we do it for and how we do it.
4.6. Fundraising report
4.6.1. SW sold four boards for the new rink.
4.6.2. SW will send out the fundraising information letter to all board members.
4.7. Meeting adjourned. 9:30