Come participate in a Tipi raising, learn from elders, meet First Nations people in your community, share food, and alleviate barriers by learning how to support First Nations people and beat prejudice in your community. Below is an invitation from EFCL to Bonnie Doon's 4 events on:
July 6, 1pm - 3pm
July 16, 1pm - 3pm
July 20, 1pm - 3pm
Ju;y 30, 1pm - 3pm
Registration is required for these free sessions. Please register here.
AANIIN HELLO / WELCOME :
Tipi Teachings is designed to reconnect First Nations people in urban communities back to the valuable teachings, culture and knowledge systems that were lost in residential schools in a good way. Tipi Teachings supports living a good life and being aware of one's identity as a First Nations person by making cultural programs available in Edmonton communities. Come participate in story-telling, make your own medicine wheel, learn teachings of the tipi and engage in sharing circles and learn more about the history of colonialism and how community programs can help reconcile some of Canada's difficult history. Also, these events help support non-indigenous community members building better relations with Indigenous community members and learning more about their role as neighbors and how to be good neighbors.
*** ALL EVENTS HELD OUTDOORS***
**Catered individually packed "powwow" specialty foods will be served by an indigenous caterer at some events.
**A family-friendly event for all ages. Bring your mom. Bring your kohkom too. We are doing everything COVID-friendly! (see below)
COVID PRECAUTIONS & PROCEDURES:
1. Hand Sanitizer Stations - these are available at this event. Please use them frequently.
2. Masks - please request a mask upon arrival. We have a certain amount we can distribute. **Preference will be given to elderly and young families so please bring your own mask to ensure you are protected.
3. Seating - this is an outdoor event. Bring your own lawn chair or picnic blanket for you and your family.
4. Supplies - if you have your own markers and materials to supplement these activities bring them along. Some supplies will be provided but due to sanitization, it will be sanitized between uses and this takes time so to ensure ease of access bring materials such as markers and pens and a hard surface to write on for medicine wheels activity, etc.
5. Food - all food will be individually packed and prepared professionally by catering services to ensure safety for all, please sanitize hands frequently at these events to ensure your safety as much as possible
6. Social distancing - all persons will sit 2 meters apart from people outside their family or cohort (another family or families that only interacts with your family)
MIIGWETCH & REMEMBER TO CREATE A KIND & RESPECTFUL ATMOSPHERE WHILE AT THIS EVENT.
THIS EVENT HAS LIMITED SPACE - USE EVENTBRITE LINK FOR FREE TICKET. Have your ticket ready when you arrive at the event.